Saturday 9 January 2016

Sunday 22 May - an update

Sunday, 22 May 2011

As I write this I'm looking out over the Firth of Lorne from the excellent North Ledaig Caravan Club Site about a mile north of Connel, near Oban.  On Friday I made it back to Clitheroe on the train, then yesterday had a great day at the wedding of Mr & Mrs Chris & Nicola Breckell (Chris is my sister's son and therefore also the son of Logistics Manager Alan).

With no time at all to sort things out (so I hope we've remembered everything) we set off back north in the motorhome this morning, 'we' being new 'crew' John & Helen Cressey, and a companion cyclist for the week, Alan Taylor.  To be honest we are all wondering what we might have let ourselves in for as the weather forecast for next week - tomorrow in particular - looks horrendous:  heavy rain and damaging gale force winds - ugh!

Progress in the first ten days was better than I expected. I'd had to plan a fairly gruelling unbroken 10-day stint of 800 miles because I couldn't start any earlier and I had to get back for yesterday's wedding. And unless I reached Oban it would have been mightily difficult to get back because I needed the train service.  And to my great relief (and not a little surprise) I made it.

I've already seen some great scenery and met various people, had good weather and bad (far too much bad for this time of year!) and eaten and slept a lot more than I usually do.  With 800 miles done I've only got £3,500 miles or so to do - and another £15,000 to raise for Cancer Research UK.

Please keep on reading and keeping up with progress.  Hopefully we'll soon have a direct link off this blog to the FleetSmartLive tracker which everyone is enjoying so much.  And tomorrow, if I survive (!) I'll report on progress again.

No comments:

Post a Comment