Friday 8 January 2016

Day 2 - Continued

Wednesday, 11 May 2011

I'll keep trying...

I followed the coast road from Ulverston to Barrow in Furness and found myself cycling up a Dutch Mountain - or in other words, into the teeth of a headwind.  It seemed to take forever, but once into Barrow I soon found Furness Abbey, and a bit further down the road the van was waiting with butties and coffee.  Val and Alan had parked in front of a house where the owner was mowing his lawn and he came across to... make a donation to Cancer Research UK! What a nice chap!  Richard had made arrangements to be picked up and taken home later in the day.

One of the main items of interest seems to be the tracker which I am carrying.  A lot of people have been logging on tohttp://www.fleetsmartlive.com/ and watching progress 'live'.  We lost the signal a few times but it's still been pretty good.  If you want to try it, you'll need to log on with the user name Honeywell1 and password Honeywell1 (case-sensitive) - then click on the Bike1 details.

In order to improve the service, Alex from Fleetsmart drove all the way up from Wigan to Haverigg tonight to change the SIM card in the tracker, and to provide a bigger battery - so hopefully tomorrow it will be even better.

Back to the ride. The sun shone after Barrow and I carried on through Dalton in Furness to Foxfield and Duddon Bridge, then on a very undulating narrow road and then.... five miles of rough track!  Not suited to my road bike!  It looked OK on the map, but by the time I got there it was too much trouble to turn back so I carried on until I reached Millom, after which it was only another mile to our night's stop at Haverigg.

So - another 77 miles on the clock.  About the same tomorrow up the West Cumbria coast line.  I'm currently trying to remember whether it's possible to walk or cycle over the railway viaduct at Ravenglass, so that could be interesting!

There’s a story from the Great Depression about the man who threw himself off the top of the Empire State Building. As he passed an open window on the 11th floor someone inside heard him say “So far so good!”

No comments:

Post a Comment